Tuesday, October 11, 2011

penne rosa

as you can see by the overwhelming amount of recipes i'm a sucker for pasta. i could live on it day and night. i'm an even bigger sucker for penne rosa at noodles and company. i putzed around for a long time to master a copy cat recipe and this is probably the closest i've gotten to the real thing. the spinach is an absolute must!! i like my dishes to have heat so i add at least a 1/2 tsp of red pepper flakes. if you are unsure, start out with a 1/4 tsp and taste when sauce is near done simmering. you can always add more if it isn't to your liking.

penne rosa

3 c penne pasta
1 c marinara sauce
1/2 c heavy cream
1 c fresh spinach
1 c mushrooms, sliced
1 c cherry tomatoes, halved
1/2 tsp red pepper flakes (or to your taste)

1. heat 2 tbl olive oil in saute pan. add mushrooms and tomatoes. heat until mushrooms are cooked thru and tomatoes begin to blister. add marinara, salt and pepper, and red pepper flakes (to your taste). simmer on low for 10 minutes.
2. cook pasta according to package.
3. add cream to sauce and simmer for another 5 minutes. add spinach and pasta. stir to combine.

4 comments:

  1. amazing! I grew up in Colorado loving Noodles & Co and now living 400mi away from the nearest Noodles I came across your recipe to get my Penne Rosa fix. It hits the spot! Thanks for the great find and easy instructions =)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Amanda- thank you for your comment! I love when pasta makes people as happy as it makes me!

      Delete
  2. My friend made this for me and my friends and everyone loved it. He has made it for a lot of girls, and they have all enjoyed it. Tonight, we are trying it with chicken. Thanks for a simple, wholesome recipe. :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I made this for my husband and he said he couldn't tell the difference between this and the dish at Noodles. Fantastic recipe. Thanks :) I found this video with the founding chef of Noodles showing how to make it, and then I kind of combined the info from the video and this post since he didn't give exact measurements. Here's a link to it on YouTube: http://www.youtube.com/watch/?v=61SnVIqR8e0

    ReplyDelete