on the menu of this tiny little restaurant in the third ward, swig, is black bean cakes... heavenly delicious bean cakes. determined to recreate, i bring you these. holy cats, strap on your elastic banded pants; these are good. perfect for a superbowl app as i did or breakfast for god's sake.
black bean cakes
2, 15 oz cans of black beans, drained
6 green onions, chopped (dark green parts removed)
1/4 c red onion, chopped
1 tsp cumin
1 tsp salt
1/2 tsp black pepper
1 tbs adobo sauce (found in cans of chiles with adobo sauce)
1/4 c corn meal
4 tbs olive oil
chipotle lime sour cream
8 oz light sour cream
2 tbs adobo sauce (found in cans of chiles with adobo sauce)
1 tsp lime juice
1. heat 2 tbs olive oil in a saute pan. add onion and cook for 5 minutes or until soft. add cumin and cook for an additional 2 minutes.
2. place black beans, cooked onion and adobo sauce in food processor. pulse a few times until beans are mashed up a bit. (you do not want them pureed).
3. place mixture in a bowl. add cornmeal, salt & pepper and stir to combine.
4. form like small patties with bean mixture and lay on a baking sheet lined with parchment paper. place in freezer for 20 minutes to firm up.
5. heat remaining olive oil in a saute pan. cook black bean patties in oil for an estimated 5-10 minutes on each side. (you want a golden crispy outside). repeat on other side. (you may have to add more oil as you go).
6. combine chipotle lime sour cream ingredients.
7. top cakes with sour cream and devour!