who's the idiot that baked eggplant fries in the ridiculous heat last week? that would be me. yep, my oven and i never seem to part ways.
this recipe is a health-i-fied version of fried eggplant. (although the battered & fried stuff is still pretty amazing in my book). using a bit of olive oil in the breading and spraying with pam make for crispy happenings.
baked eggplant fries
1 medium to large eggplant
1 1/2 c plain breadcrumbs
2 tbl italian seasoning
1 tsp black pepper
2 tsp salt
2 tsp olive oil
1 c flour
1. peel eggplant of it's thick purple skin using a knife. cut into long 1" thick strips.
2. prep your dredging bowls. one with flour, one with eggs (whisked) and one with your breadcrumbs. add italian seasoning, salt & pepper and olive oil to your breadcrumb bowl and stir to combine breaking up olive oil clumps.
3. dredge your strips in flour, then egg and finally breadcrumb mixture. lay on a baking pan lined with foil. repeat process with all strips.
4. spray strips with pam. place on the top rack of your oven. bake for 10 min. pull out and flip strips to other side. spray again with pam and bake for another 5 minutes.
5. serve with warm marinara sauce.